There is no single cause of breast cancer, however some factors that could be associated with breast cancer risk include:
- Age: Most breast cancer occurs in women over age 50.
- Family history of breast cancer
- Previous breast biopsies showing abnormal cells
- Reproductive and breastfeeding history
- In post-menopausal women: Weight and physical inactivity.
- Age at first menstruation and age at menopause
- Hormone replacement therapy (estrogen plus progestin)
- Smoking and alcohol use
- Breast density
For more information about breast cancer risk factors, please visit: